Monday, December 7, 2009

A Higher Power...

I believe there is a higher power in this universe, and I know for a fact that it isn’t I.

However, I have yet to find a religion or orthodoxy completely consistent with the way I have my beliefs.

I have had discussions with a lot of my friends; discussing our differences in beliefs. The majority of which rely on their faiths for strength, wisdom, and their moral compass. Their beliefs are genuine and I respect them for that. Our biggest differences are centered on how / what we define as a “higher power”.

I’ve come to accept any condition beyond my control is, in effect, a power greater than me. My beliefs are centered on the belief that man (as a symbol) controls his path and not an omnipotent being with a planned path for me.

My friends have all accepted our differences and we have come to embrace them; understanding. My family is strong. I have a wife, who I have been married to for 13 years. We have our ups and down – but work together to make things work. My kids complete our “circle”. We are bringing up 3 healthy and intelligent kids. All of them have their independent personalities. They differ in their likes, dislikes, wants, and desires. Individually we are all strong. Together we are invincible. It is important to me to impart on the kids that they need to protect their family. They will have their ups and downs in life, and through it all their parents, siblings will be there for them. This brings me to the impasse that we are at with my brother’s family. We have our ups and downs, but seem to be less accepting of our differences. They have a strong family connection through his wife’s family and through their growing connection to their religion. It’s tough to say that we have grown apart. I admit that since our blow out, I have thought everyday about calling. I have done it before, so why not now? It all boils down to the definition of insanity (doing the same actions over and over and expecting a different outcome). Every time we’ve dismissed the issues that transpired between the families and returned to being cordial to each other again, it eventually fissions and another blow out occurs. I’ve decided that I can not handle that stress any more. It isn’t to be mean to anyone. It’s purely selfish for me and my family. I don’t want to handle the stress and don’t want to introduce it into my family circle.

This entry took a different direction than how I originally started it. I guess this an excellent example for why I started this blog. The best and oldest (no age joke intended) friend Matt has a great quote on his site “I learn what I think when I read what I write”.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The challenege that most people have with religion, is the fact, that it is not about you finding a church, or a God that believes the same thing you do, but a place, where you feel connected, and a place where you can come in with an open mind, and grow as a person and spiritually. As you mature spiritually, your beliefs and understanding will change and grow.

The world is filled with negative energy, church is a great place to find positive people, and a positive enviornment.

60% of homes, where the father turns to chirst, the rest of the family comes with him.

Skippy Lugnut said...

My issue isn't about feeling connected with a church or a group. I do that rather well. My issue with religion surrounds the ideals of having a deity out there who is all powerful ~ I just don't buy it.

I think the world is what you make it. I am sure you'll find your share of good people at church, but I would argue that you'll find a contingent of good people where ever you go so long as you are open to seeing them.

I won't contest the 60% because i don't have facts to contest otherwise. I will add that 42.7% of statistics are made up on the spot though :-)

Mom B. said...

It's called faith. You actually want to see a person when there is no one there. You have to rely on your faith that there is a higher power. For people to look at this higher power brings peace. It could be the only person you can talk too when there is no one else. You can express you feelings without being ridiculed or laughed at. Yes, the world is what you make it but I am sure if one of your kids or Michelle had a serious health issue, you would start praying that they would be better. I say a prayer for you and the family every night asking that you are protected. I have faith. I needed God in my life at an early age and he will always remain with me.
You should make that call to Tony and sit down and talk with him. Express your frustrations. Hear his. You might be surprised as to what you learn. (Just a suggestion)

Skippy Lugnut said...

I can understand faith. I just have differing views on it.

We have approached Tony and asked to talk about it - okay well Michelle emailed and asked to work things out. They responded that they weren't interested. With that said, I am sure there are frustrations on his side as well. I am not sure how to make things better other than to stay away. If I remove myself and my family from the equation, "Don't start nothin, won't be nothin" (Men In Black).

I am sure that he and I will talk again sometime, when that is I am not sure. 2010 is a new year with new possibilities.

Powered By Blogger